List of Links to Library & Student Blogs
- Bensenville Public Library
- Brookfield Zoo Library
- Carol Stream Public Library
- Des Plaines Public Library
- Galter Health Sciences Library Blog
- Glenside Public Library Visit & Harold Washington ~ Chicago Public Library Visit
- Great Chicago Libraries J. Thoma
- Helen Plum Memorial Library
- J Term 2007
- John M. Flaxman Library SAIC
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Northwestern Library Visit
- Oak Park Public Library Maze Branch
- Riverside Public Library
- Rolling Meadows Public Library
- Roselle Public Library
- Rudolf G. Schade Archives
- Schaumburg Township District Library
- The CorkBoard
- The Field Museum Library & Archives
- The Marion E. Wade Center
- The Newberry Library Genealogy and Special Collections
- The Newberry Library Visit
- Thoughts on the Great Chicago Libraries
- Villa Park Library Visit II
- Villa Park Public Library
- Westchester Public Library
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Hello:
I've had an absolutely fabulous time helping out with this class. The students were a great group of people to be with and the EC librarians served as a collaborative depository of knowledge and insight.
Personally, I especially enjoyed the School of the Art Institute's collection of book art. It was a unique collection of works of art that you rarely get to see. However, I can't deny the beauty of the outside architecture of the Harold Washington Library in Chicago, IL.
It was a great experience that definitely made even more enthused to attend grad school for library science in the fall.
I really enjoyed this class. Honestly, when I first signed up for this class I was not to thrilled. I am not to interested in libraries, but I chose this class because I preferred to travel rather than sit and read books for the whole month. My favorite part of the visits would have to be all the visits to the special collections. All the special collections we went to from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago to the Field Musuem. I really like that I got to see all the little gadgets and tools in the Galter Health Sciences Library. I loved that I got the chance to be so close to the original diary that Charles Darwin used at the special collections at the Field Museum. Overall I had a great time in this class and I met a lot of great people. This is a class that I will continue to remember in a good way. Special Thanks to Peg, Susan, and Donna. You guys did a wonderful job!
I feel like I learned a ton of things I never knew about libraries from this course. Some things I learned are...
1. Everyone has a different collection
2. Everyone has some form of the Audubon
3. Said form of Audubon is prized above most else
4. Audubon is a book with birds in it...
5. Most libraries have archives
6. Archives contain primary sources of information often dating back hundreds of years.
7. Good facilities and access to information is not as widespread as I thought and should not be taken for granted.
8. Libraries above all else are here to serve the community
9. Libraries offer way more than books.
10. As important as they are, libraries are underappreciated and underfunded.
11. Libraries serve as a sanctuary for a community.
12. Every community needs one.
The things I learned:
1. I learned how to search through multiple databases for a given topic.
2. I learned a lot about how libraries function and what the staff does.
3. I learned that libraries are not all outdated and most of them have very up-to-date- technologies.
4. I learned that most librarians are nice.
5. I learned that librarians can be very helpful if you ask them questions.
6. I learned a lot about archives and archivists from the library trips and from my novel.
7. I learned about many different services that are available at libraries that I never knew about.
8. I learned a lot of new things about my public library from my library visit.
9. I learned about the different policies of libraries.
10. I learned that libraries can be extremely useful to us as long as we know how and where to look.
Almost EVERYTHING that we have done in this class, has one way or another been new information!
the "L"
the bus
anything about archives
blog
flickr (didn't know it exsisted)
the majority of the people in the class
art books
all of the OOOLD stuff in the archives
how paper was made from animals
our school has an archive
there is a library@ the zoo
being a librarian is NOT a shelver
libraries face problems
libraries are AWESOME resources
i don't have to be afaid of computers
what a depository for govdocs is
there is a transportation library
peg, donna, and susan (and kyle)
i could live from my home and never leave...but i won't
.......i could go for hours...
libraries are THE cutting edge of technology!!!!!
I learned so much in this class, and numbering them sounds good to me.
1. The world of libraries is HUGE, and tons of information, technology and issues gravitate around it.
2. There are so many resources available to us because we leave near Chicago!
3. Getting around Illinois is a little more familiar, may it be by car, metra or el train (I'm from Wisconsin)!
4. Libraries come in all shapes and definately sizes.
5. Librarians come from all types of educational and experiental backgrounds.
6. We are truly blessed with our school and public libraries.
7. There are special libraries for one area of study.
8. Large institutions like zoos and museums oftentimes have their own library.
9. Libraries can get political, with all of that patriot act stuff.
10. Archives are rare collections of primary sources.
11. We actually have an archives.
12. How blogging works (I'd never done it) and how to do things like posting video on youtube.
13. In case of a fire or fire alarm, you have to get out of the Wade Center basement in 45 seconds or you die.
14. Listening to the author of a good book speak and read from it after you read it is the coolest thing.
15. SO much more.
Thanks Donna, Peg and Susan! I loved this class and learned so much.
This J~term class has been so great! I'm so glad I chose it...and not just because it seemed the easiest out of the Honors courses. I've learned so much it's hard to be specific. Coming in to this course I had no idea how different libraries were. I guess I just assumed they would all be similar. But I'm glad the ones we visited were all so different because it made me realize what I do and do not like in a library! Some of my favorite things I learned during this class include:
1.seeing the special collections...I had no idea libraries had things like that!
2.the different architectural designs and how creative some were
3.the number of different KINDS of libraries there can be
4.all of the technological advances some libraries had
5.learning to blog!
6.you can check out more than just books
7.accordian busses are fun if you sit in the back!
8.using the L was a good experience.....i definitely would have gotten lost if it weren't for Kyle
9.Jenn and I can still bargain shop even when only given 30 minutes!
10.even when some libraries are given a small space they still have tons to offer
11.the visit with Michael Stephens.....everything he talked about was so interesting and I liked how I could relate to it and understood what he was saying...I know I would not have been able to if we didn't go over blogging in class
12.and most of all I love that this class made me more comfortable with online sources and all we have done!
This class was definitely such a great experience, I wasnt expecting anything like it when I fist signed up. It was amazing and I am so glad this was my first J-term experience. Who would have thought libraries were so much! Libraries are
1. more than just books
2. archives, very important
3. special collections, make sure to wear gloves or wash your hands- or just dont touch
4. all about the user
5. very technologically savvy
6. important to the community
7. FUN places
I've learned
1. how to blog
2. that you have to be signed in or your comment will be erased and then you have to redo it
3. Flickr exists
4. I am one of very few without a digital camera
5. how to utilize the "L"
6. How to take the train
7. Yay Autobon!
And that libraries are simply more than they seem. I have had people ask me, so you learn how to categorize books? and that isnt the case. From this class I now will go to libraries so much more often and be able to use what they offer, which will give me the edge in the long run!
Thank you for such a wondeful class!
I have learned so much from this class that I would have never known if I wouldn't have chosen to take it. I didn't really know what to expect when I signed up for it but it was definitely not what I thought. It was a lot more interesting than I ever thought. Some of the things that I learned were....
1. Privacy Rights
2. What an archive is and what kind of materials are in them.
3. The different ways to design a library and the purposes of doing it a certain way.
4. I learned about the different kinds of special collections.
5. Some materials are not open for browsing.
5. I am able to use a lot more technology like blogger, flickr, and I didn't even know how to put pictures on my computer.
6. I am more comfortable with the transportation in the city like the L and the buses.
7. Different types of librarians with different levels of interest and commitment to their jobs.
8. How to better use online databases.
9. The way that medical equipment has grown and how far we have come especially in the last 100 years.
10. The ways that libraries have been changing.
11. The different types of libraries and their purpose.
12. The ideas that libraries have for the future in order to make it a more social environment.
13. The time and energy put into the library from its librarians and archivists.
I really enjoyed this class and will definitely recomend it to other honors students! Thanks for a great J-term!
The top 15 things I learned in J-Term:
1. Libraries in major cities often have homeless people in them.
2. Brookfield Zoo has a library.
3. The Field Museum has a library.
4. What an archives collection is.
5. What a blog is.
6. What flickr is.
7. Who Michael Stephens is.
8. Not all libraries are necessarily quiet.
9. Libraries have mission statements.
10.Books were once printed on animal skin.
11.Books were also printed on a rag like material.
12.John James Audubon's Birds of America is extremely valuable.
13.What Charles Darwin's autograph looks like.
14.What an artist book is.
15.How dentists and doctors used to work back in the day, yikes.
In closing, this class was really interesting and fun, I recommend it.
This J-term I have learned a lot more than I have in most classes, but not only that, I have learned information that may actually be useful someday. Such as how to use the databases that are available on our libraries website. I also learned a lot of random things that I never would have though of:
1. Audobon's Birds (Still amazes me that this is everyone's most valued piece in the collection)
2. The fact that brookfield zoo even HAS a library, and how awesome it was for me to see a library of Biology :)
3. That something called a "transportation library" actually exists.
4. how to navigate chicago
5. The difference between an archive and a library - never realized there was a difference
6. the fact that OUR school has it's own archives, a very well kept secret.
7. Library issues that librarians spend hours upon hours discussing (like what color to make the carpet, or.. more seriously, what to do about cell phone use)
8. The fact that technology is such a crucial part of the library, and being a librarian
9. That a lot of libraries are lacking on both space and funds, something I've never thought of before.
10. I've learned that there's more to libraries than books, and a lot of work is put into them, and now plan to utilize them like I should have been doing before. :)
1. I CAN wander around downtown Chicago by myself.
2. If you're meeting people, call them to confirm the meeting place...
3. There is a library in Brookfield Zoo.
4. There is a library in the Field Museum that's open to the public.
5. Libraries face more problems than "Where does this book go?"
6. Everyone needs more space. The more space you have, the more you can buy, but then you need more space.
7. You need a master's degree to be a librarian.
8. A community's library says a lot about their values.
9. There is an archive at Elmhurst College.
10. Libraries can be a lot like museums.
11. I learned how to upload pictures to the Internet.
12. NoveList is a really cool database.
I'm going to be a non-conformist and not write a list. First and foremost, I absolutely loved this class. I have always enjoyed reading and going to libraries, so I eagerly accepted the opportunity to take this class, and thus learned so much from taking it. Before this class, I never knew how many different types of libraries are out there, and I never really thought about archives. I also never considered how libraries dealt with issues like noise control or homeless problems. Each and every library we visited was unique and fascinating in its own way, and it was interesting to see how some libraries held certain aspects as priority over others. Some libraries were really involved with architecture and design, others were hugely focused on technology, and so many others really paid attention to patron needs. I really enjoyed hearing about the librarian backgrounds as well. My favorite library was the Northwestern Medical Library because I love learning about medicine, anatomy, and medical technology. Sometime in my future, after I am finished teaching, I will definitely become a librarian either in some sort of special collections library or a medical library. This class also taught me much about public transportation in Chicago, and greatly enhanced my skills using technology like Flickr, Blogspot, Mydeo, and more. It was a pleasure to take this class and I will definitely recommend it to other Honors students in the future. Thanks for everything Peg, Donna, and Susan. I'll see you at the library!
If I were to talk about all the bits and pieces of knowledge I have gained by taking this course, I would be testing the reader's patience in reading a ridiculously long post. But instead, I'll limit myself to just 3 things I can take away.
The first thing I can take away and keep in mind the next time I enter a library is that libraries can vary greatly in terms of what they hold and who they serve. By just visiting 8 libraries in the chicago area, we have seen how much libraries can vary, but imagine visting libraries all around the country, or all around the world.
The second concept I have learned to appreciate is the role that technology plays in libraries today. With technology revolutionizing the way library materials can be stored and brought to a person's use, we have opened a whole new window for libraries to do things they have never done in the history of libraries. Basically, technology has changed people's expectations of libraries as compared to what people in the past have expected. This concept also encompasses the fact that I have learned to do new things with technology throughout the course of this class (i.e. blogger, flickr, movie editor).
Lastly, I have learned that the very existence of libraries has had a profound impact on the course of human history. Without libraries, the flourishing of ideas and knowledge would have not been possible. We have seen as examples in various archives that documents and books can easily perish without proper care. So it is the duty of libraries to preserve these pieces of history and knowledge so that we may learn from them and teach it to others.
This class was very fun; I enjoyed it a lot. It has opened my mind to new things and defintely changed the way I thought about libraries.
I was really surprised by this course. I knew we'd be touring libraries and reading a novel, but I had no idea that I could learn so much from this course. Basically all of the artifacts seen in the special collections at the various libraries, NU Medical, Field Museum and NU were so cool. I also didn't even know that places like the Field, the Shedd and the zoo would have a library.
I must say, I also loved the novel assignment. Finally, I got to read a book for enjoyment in college rather than Shakespeare or Biology.
I also appreciated the freedom we were given in the class. There were rough guidelines, and after that we were on our own.
Thank you librarians!
This class was awesome. Some things that I learned were that there are a lot of places that have libraries that I wouldn't expect to, such as the Brookfield Zoo. It's not something you think about on a day to day basis, but libraries should exist in one form or another for every organization or interest as a way not only to hold and record history and information but also to bring peopele of a common intrest together.
I never realized how much work goes into running a library. Being a freshman in college, it is only now starting to hit me that life is REALLY expensive and library costs are no different. In the end, having a nice library costs money and it's frustrating when not everybody has admiration for libraries. Also, there is so much in the thought process in terms of manaement of libraries such as how to get the community using your facilities, what to do if the teenagers get rowdy, what to do about cell phones, etc. It all seems a little stressful to me.
I learned that some libraries can be very friendly and calm places where people are very welcoming and then that there are places like the Newberry Library.
Katie R. and I learned that the el train costs $2.00 and NOT $1.75. I learned that I personally am capable of wandering downtown without getting killed or kidnapped.
Overall I had a great time, thanks guys!
Post a Comment