Monday, January 8, 2007

Elmhurst Public Library ~ A Beautiful View



















Mission Statement
The Elmhurst Public Library provides services and materials in many formats to meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of the community. Special emphasis is placed in four areas: offering access to information; creating opportunities for personal enrichment and recreation; stimulating the reading interests of young children and their parents; and supporting the educational interests of school children and independent adult learners.


Roles


Educational Support Center: The Library assists elementary and secondary school students and teachers in meeting educational objectives and assists members of the community involved in independent learning.


Popular Materials Center: The Library features current, high-demand, high-interest materials in a variety of formats for persons of all ages.


Preschoolers' Door To Learning: The library encourages young children to develop an interest in reading and learning through collections and services for preschoolers and for adults working with children.

Reference Library: The library provides timely, accurate, and useful information for community residents.

The mission statement above can be found on the Elmhurst Public Library website. Infact, their website has a wealth of information about the library. You can find statistics, awards, hours of operation, the online catalog, online databases, and even books you can download to your MP3 player. I enjoyed our visit to the library and the lively presentation and tour given by Library Director, Marilyn Boria and Assistant Director, Sarah Caltvedt.

Above are some pictures and video of the library. The best way to learn about the library is to visit it both online and in person!

7 comments:

Peg said...

Great blog Donna!

Liz said...

I love how the colors of your blog complement those of the Elmhurst Public Library! I feel very blessed to have this library and all of its resources so close, on top of having our own library across the street. I particularly enjoyed touring the children's section of the library. The story room, the trees, the fish tank and all of the decorations were so fun and inviting, and watching the little kids on the PCs amazed me. Taking a fieldtrip on the first day was fun too!

kaia p. said...

I think that the Elmhurst Public Library is an excellent resource!It was perfect for our firs library visit as a class, because it has many of the things that big libraries have on a smaller scale. They are really trying to reach out to the public and bring people in. My favorite aspect about the Elmhurst Public library, is the color scheme and nature theme. I really like and support the idea of bringing the outside in, and makeing the decor match Wilder Park. It is a very pleasant, outdoorsy feeling place, and it really integrates well into its neighborhood.

mercedez091 said...

I still think that the Elmhurst College Public Library is my favorite library out of all our visits. I am most confortable here. It is very inviting and cozy. They are very user friendly and also have the attitude that they will help in anyway we possible can.

Katie said...

I enjoyed the Elmhurst Public Library and it is one of my favorite libraries. The environment is welcoming and comfortable and is a great place to study, research or to simply relax with a good book. One of the great things was the teen section. I think it is important that libraries do what they feel is necessary for their specific "customer". My personal favorite part was the children's section. It was adorable and was a great place for children to start learning computer and library skills!

Monica.S said...

It's great that such a wonderful library is so close to campus. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

I adore the Elmhurst Public Library. It is so cozy and I love the desk at the main entrance because there is always someone there to greet you when you walk in the door. The children's library is amazing, and I love how the library put so much thought into making the materials easily accessable for the kids. I have visited the library numerous times since we took our tour at the beginning of the class, and have found the EPL to be an excellent place to study as well.

Blog Archive

About Honors 304

Elmhurst, Illinois, United States